Tuesday, March 11, 2014

L14 - Reorienting ourselves towards Easter through Relationships

3/11/2014 - Daily Reading

Another opportunity to take a step forward in our Lenten Journey. God wants us to re-orient us towards Easter because it is here that we find our own identity. This process of re-orientation seems to take place in us as we look at our relationships: with ourselves (fasting), with others (almsgiving) and with God (Prayer).

The Gospel today  highlights these aspects. Jesus talks about prayer. It begins with a shocking statement: when you pray, do not babble. It took me years to identify this horrible way of praying. And it took a lot of courage and strength to eliminate empty words from my prayer. I always had the impression that I had to do all the talking and I had to make sure God knew what He was supposed to do for me. And so I spent minutes after minutes babbling.... How many moments of prayer wasted with only words: rosaries said without thinking, sacraments celebrated as routine... thank goodness that I learned how damaging useless words can be. I am not completely over, I still fall into the temptation of filling my prayer time with words... but I am getting better. So much better.

Prayer teaches me about relationships. The Our Father is a prayer that immediately challenges me to look at my relationships. "Our" is the context of the prayer. Immediately I become aware that I do not pray alone. I am with many, and as one Body we dare to call God Father. I pray with others who have come before me as believers, with others who are praying with me, and with those whom will follow. I pray for others, those who lived long ago, live with me and those who will be born tomorrow.

If I do not take care of my relationships I cannot truly say "Our." I have to make sure I grow in Love for everyone so that this prayer will become more truthful.

"Father." This is the word that clearly seems to identify God's identity. Abba, father. How do I relate to Him? Do I prefer Him to be a "magical" God who will do what I say? Or, am I willing to call Him Father and begin to relate to Him as His child.

I want to pray today using only these two words. I don't want to babble but I want to be open to a new way of living Lent - through relationships. At the end of the day, all the people I have encountered and loved will be included in my prayer, in my "our." And it will be a true celebration!

No comments: