Wednesday, March 12, 2014

L14: Reoriented by Greatness

3/12/2014 - Daily Readings. 

I continue my Journey and continue to grow in the desire to be re-oriented by God towards Easter. It is here that I can find my true identity as a child of God. I wonder: how is it that I get distracted? why do I look elsewhere to find myself? After meditating on the story of the Temptations of Jesus, I know that it is the Devil's job to distract us as he continues to whisper into our soul's ears that we can become God without God, Christians without Christ or the Church. He continues to make God look unattractive and we, without even thinking, move our gaze away from Him. The solution? Do what Jesus did: remain grounded in the Word of God.

But this holy season helps us to acknowledge our weaknesses and, because of His great Love, we can start again. What steps can I take today? How can I remain grounded in the Truth that will allow me to identify the serpent's trick?

Jesus gives me the answer: "There is something greater here." As humans we are attracted to greatness, to "great" things. And this attraction shapes our behavior, too. Jesus is using his human characteristics to make Himself attractive. I noticed that Jesus is saying this as matter of fact; it is not a command or one of his "conditionals." He is who he is... How do I react? Do I want to see Him as 'greater'? Or do I prefer that He be happy with what I can give Him, while I want all He can give me?

I want to repeat these words today, throughout the day: "There is something greater here." I want to say them when I am stuck in traffic, or at the red light, or behind a particularly slow person at the check-out line or wherever I may be. I want to become aware that everything and everyone is a reflection of Christ's presence in the world and I do not want to miss Him. I want to be attracted to His Greatness as a needle is attracted by a magnet - docile to the call and faithful.

There is something greater here - Jesus living in our midst, behind everyone I encounter. I can't wait to encounter Him today.

No comments: