Thursday, March 20, 2014

L14 - Finding our name

3/20/2014 - Daily Readings

What's in a name? I can't imagine living in a world where people do not have names. Having a name means to have an identity, to be 'one rather than another.' I read the pope's homily today and he pointed out that the rich man did not have a name. He lost it.

This thought allowed me to enter a bit deeper into our reality as human and I noticed how easily we trade our names for another identifier. "Hey, did you hear about Mary? Mary, who? Mary who has the new red coat." We also apply this to ourselves. If I consider my image of being funny, or smart or whatever, I do whatever it takes so that people identify me as funny, smart or whatever.

We get lost easily; and just as easily we trade our identifier. After a while we grow confused in a world that identifies us in so many ways and we don't know who we are. How can we hear God calling us, He who always calls us by name, if we don't remeber our name anymore."

The rich man in the parable had lost his name; he remained too focused on his role and his possessions. Even in the after life, he couldn't stop being in "charge" of others, telling other people what to do.

Names also have meanings. Lazarus means "God is my help." Certianly, if we read the parable from the point of view of Lazarus we can certainly say that it doesn't look like God was really helping him. But he is not the main character. God was trying to help the Rich Man.

When we help 'Lazarus', God helps us to be who we are. Every time we focus on someone other than ourselves we become truly ourselves. When we trust in ourselves only, we are not a blessing but a curse; by helping others, we become a blessing because we let God help us.

Out there there are many Lazarus who are waiting for me to love them so that I can be myself. I want God to help me and now I know how.

Lazarus: wait for me! I am coming!

No comments: