Thursday, March 13, 2014

L14: Reorienting By Asking for others

3/13/2014 - Daily Readings

Today, we celebrate the first year of Pope Francis' pontificate. There are articles and photos of him everywhere. I really do not remember if the press dedicated so much space to the first year anniversary of Pope Benedict. I keep asking myself: why all this attention to him? Whenever I speak about Pope Francis, I always seem to have a bittersweet taste in my mouth: it seems that as I highlight what he is doing, I may give the impression that I think that Pope Benedict didn't do that. Which is not true. Each has his own gift. But still...

I believe the attention given to pope Francis comes from something that is special to him (and, again, I am not saying that Pope Benedict or any other pope doesn't have it!). It is evident that he is gounded in the Love of God and this love "goes out" to everyone. And I mean, everyone. He's warm and affectionate, humble and meek. All these things give us an glimpse of who God is. Somehow I recognize in his attitude something that is of God.

Because only Love is credible, many people are looking at God again because they feel loved by pope Francis. Indeed, we don't believe in God after we read a book about Him. We really convert when we experience God as Love. Jesus gives us a nice snapshot about God who, as a good father, gives us all that is good. God is all-giving to the point that He gave us Himself. This is the heart of the Good News: God loves us immensely

How can I enter into this day, living the Word ? The text of the Gospel focuses on prayer: Jesus says we can ask. But why is it that we don't seem to receive as much as we ask? Because God has not said that He would give us everything we want but only what is good for us. Therefore, this is what I want to do today: forget about myself and ask for others. "Do to others" and forget they should do the same to me. Love without thinking about being loved back. This is how God loves and this is what I want to do today. I trust that someone will be praying for me, and even if nobody did, God knows what I need. I must trust in the power of prayer.

What a wonderful way to celebrate the pope's anniversary: being more like him.

No comments: