Sunday, June 17, 2012

The life of a seed

XI Sunday in OT: Daily Readings

The parables of Jesus touch me in a particular way, today. I am amazed how Jesus can describe the most mysterious of things in such simple ways. I believe that this kind of explanations are possible only to those know extremely well what they are talking about.

And so Jesus, with two brushstrokes, paints a wonderful portrait of the Kingdom of God in our midst, linking intimately both sower and seed. It's challenging but I can't help to enter into this passage and pray that my heart will be open to handle the Mystery of God's action in the world.

As I read, I see myself not only as the sower who spread the seed of God's love everywhere I go but also, and especially, I can see that God's love turns me into a seed as well. The most challening thing of the first parable is the fact that the sower seems to be living in total faith, that whatever he has done will bring fruit. He does what he must do and let God take care of the rest.

How do I react and behave during the "waiting time?" I have no problem in understanding the job the sower has, but waiting for the seed to grow is quite disarming, because it does not depend on me but on God. I would rather do something than simply waiting. But this is how things work. I have to learn to be patient, and rely on Him who is, after all, the true sower and the true gardner - He knows what He is doing.

I like the sense of collaboration between the sower and the seed in the ground. It's a collaboration that creates surprise and amazement: what a marvel to see a plant sprouting out of a seed!

Have we lost this kind of amazent? Perhaps we are more attracted to the many special effects and new sounds and lights that we receive from the environment of today. The miracle of nature is too simple, too slow, too "normal," too "low tech." But all fades away, and after the latest special effect we are immediately searching for new ones. And the miracle of nature continue to go on; nature itself continues to say its 'yes' to God giving us signs of a world that exists and acts in silence and that grows invisibly.

I often feel myself as the mustard seed. Terrifyingly small. I do feel in me the capacity of growth but I also experience difficulties and shortcomings. I was listening to the homily of Deacon Tom and he helped us to remain focused on "being small." Small ego, small sense of entitlement, small amount of fear... in order to bring fruit, I have to remain "Seed" and let God help me to understand in which way I can give my life for His Life, for His Kingdom. This is the life I have to live: the life of a seed, that has all it needs to sprout but needs to die in other to give life to a tree. There are a lot of opportunities to die to one self throughout the day - die to the desire to be always number one, die to the desire to be always listened to, die to the desire to be always first, etc. He planted me in good soil; unlike the real seed, my growth is not automatic. God wants me to collaborate with Him. I am ready! (I think!)

Challenging, yes! But I know that God will allow the seed he planted in me to bring fruit. May I allow Him to bring His plan into action.

1 comment:

InterAmericanOC said...

Thank you Father Stan for these thoughts in a difficult time. Happy Father's Day