Sunday, June 10, 2012

Body to body, Blood to blood

Feast of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Jesus: Daily Readings

This feast used to be called "Corpus Christi." I honestly prefer the current English translation for two reasons. Languages change in time and space and what was meant by a word may not be what is understood today. "Corpus" is becoming more and more understood as "corpse," and therefore points only to the physical component of what is identified. It's more than that: we are looking at Jesus in His totality,
The addition of "Blood" not only brings up the life-dimension but also underlines the aspect of the Covenant, the agreement between two people (or groups of people) about each other which was sealed with the blood of an animal sacrificed for the purpose. The concept of Covenant and the role of the blood in it, allows us to understand why the first and second readings are used today.

As I prepared myself for this celebration, I realized that today's feast is connected with that of last week, On the Trinity. Last week we celebrated who God is in Himself, a Trinity of Persons and one Godhead. We dared to look "up" at Him; now, in a way we switched point of view and looked at what God sees: The body of Christ. The lenses through which we look at each other is Christ dead and risen. What a mystery. And we are totally involved in it. I feel as though I have to take my shoes off because I feel as I am walking on holy ground.

Meditating on the Gospel, I have been touched by a little detail. The disciples approach Jesus and ask where does he want to make preparation for the Passover. They take the initiative. In the Body of Christ, the Church, there are no spectators but all are co-protagonists. Unfortunately, we have been trained to be spectators and consumers and "channel-changers," attitudes that never allow us to be involved in anything. In the family of God, we all have a role to play, we are all necessary.

Just as in our own bodies, each cell and each organ has a role to play. Nobody has the understudy role.

They ask Him, "where do you want us to prepare the Passover." "Where...?" This word resounded in me in a particular way. Now, the little room on the second floor is not sufficient anymore. His "upper room" is the whole world, each and every heart ...

We must feel part of this great New Covenant. But we must start by being honest with ourselves: do I feel I am a co-protagonist in the New Covenant? Where am I in the celebration of this New Covenant? Do I feel as though I belong, that I am part of the Body of Christ? Why do I receive the Eucharist? Do I go to Mass because I want to "become what I receive?" (as St Augustine said).

We respond to the invitation to enter into the New Covenant in faith and in mystery. Everything is not always clear (the instructions that Jesus gave the disciples sound a bit odd. A man with a water jar? men didn't carry water jars, is this a "secret" code?) But they responded in faith, doing what Jesus had told them to do. We also realize that when we act on the Words of Jesus, odd as they may sound to us, they are true. Am I willing to obey Jesus even though I may not understand? even though I have doubts?

Within the Solemnity of Passover, Jesus introduces the elements of the New Covenant without introduction or explanation. One command is issued. This sounds more like an invitation: "Take this!"

I hear an invitation to satisfy the inner drive that wants us to take. This can undo the original sin (where Adam and Eve 'took' the fruit of the tree without permission). Yes, Jesus knows that we are drawn to certain things but He has changed everything: now it's all a gift.

He gives Himself. How awesome is this: God gives Himself to us, He lifts us up to His level so that we can enter into the New Covenant as friends, as relatives (we call Him Father and He calls us His children), as spouse (the Body of Christ, the Church, is also identified as the Bride).

To whom is He giving Himself? To a traitor, to one who complains, to one who wines, one who doubts, and to those who, when things got tough, abandoned ship. This was the original audience, the original congregation of the celebration of the New Covenant. Jesus focuses on the "take it," not on their ability to be good people. IT's about what He has done for us, what He can offer us more than what we can do for Him.

"Take it" Do not think of the past or the future. Take now, and do not think of the many questions that you have, about your doubts and your struggles. Do not even think about your sin and your failings. We are commanded to take He who makes us who we are supposed to be, becoming one body, HIS! There is always time for a return home. Nothing should keep us apart from Him. Nothing is so great that will make Him disown us.

How do I receive? His Body and Blood have been given to us so that we can be transformed, changed into "our truer selves," and in so doing the original image in which we have been created can be restored.

How do we celebrate this holiday? It should make us think about what is going on in us. We have Jesus giving HImself totally: Body to body and Blood to blood. It's a total, intimate and spousal relationship that unites us with Him.

This forces me to think how I celebrate the Eucharist, how I approach the Blessed Sacrament. The sense of sacred in my life, the way I approach, receive, prepare myself for this daily spousal encounter.

I cannot allow to go to Mass without preparation; or go to mass with a causal attitude, saying the words without even thinking about them. No; I have to renew the commitment to STOP MASS AS USUAL. And start living it as member of the Body of CHrist, knowing that He gives Himself to me because He wants me to become more like Him.

Yes, this is holy ground.

No comments: