Thursday, June 7, 2012

"Be eager"

Thursday of the IX Week in OT : Daily Readings.

This word appears again: "Be eager." Once again I am invited to go back into my heart and see if I have this deeply rooted motivation that makes whatever else Paul is going to say my highest priority. He adds, "to present yourself as acceptable to God." This is my highest priority and my highest motivation: to do what I need to do so that HIs grance in me is not in vain." By myself I cannot make myself acceptable to God. The gap is too wide. But He has provided a way; therefore, what I need to do is to remain in Him. In His hands, by becoming accepted by God I also see that He has made me acceptable to Him, approved. I have to work on this, as though I were to pass an exam. I will have to pass a test, which will be based solely on Love. This process of turning from accepted to acceptable require time and effort. It's the Holy Journey where every step is taken by faith and shaped by the Word. It's the journey that, I hope, will lead me to sanctity.

I need to convert here, and a lot. The journey is so often challenged by many ideas. The biggest roadblock is that we have become culturally narcissistic - we think we are at the center of the universe. Each one of us is its own gravitation point. Chaos! Insanity! In order to re-focus, I reclaim today my original choice: I choose God as the sole Ideal of my life. It is He who is my gravitational point.

My disposition has to be that of a "workman who cause no disgrace." Integrity. What a great value. It will lead me to do whatever I need to do being ready to lose rather than "lording over." Living a life of honor. I am a child of God, after all. What happened to these values?

"Imparting the Word of truth without deviation." Here's how I can do all this. I have to handle the Word of Life with the same attention that a master mason will use to cut a stone according to a pattern. I must live the Word, confronting myself with it, without taking detours, "sine glossa," without finding a loophole. What does my life reflect? Me and my ideas? or the Gospel? It's interesting to see how my prejudices find their way into the Gospel, but the light of the word 

How to live it out today? Love of God and Nighbors. These are the two nails on which I have to hang my portrait. Paul reminds me today that I have to remind people (and me!) of these things and "charge them before God to stop disputing about words. This serves no useful purpose since it harms those who listen." We live in a world (and a church) where we are constantly disputing over words and details. These are important, I know, but we can't reduce all we do to this. Besides, how well are we doing? Have we become a better society? a better church? Not even close! So, I think Paul is onto something.

Drop the chatter, focus on the Word. Live the truth in Love. And keep contronting ourselves with the Word of LIfe. It's what I am going to do today. And do it eagerly!

No comments: