Sunday, November 13, 2011

Nothing gets you nothing!

XXXIII/A


I am puzzled by this Gospel passage. I have always found it difficult but this week its radical message seems to have become stronger. My attention is taken by the dialogue between the third servant and the master. What went wrong?

From this parable, two opposing views of life come forth: how do I see life, do i see it as an opportunity to be fruitful, to use what the Master has given me in order to give meaning and direction to my life? or do I consider my whole existence as a long trial, something to be lived in fear of failure and rejection?

And who is the master? If he stands for God in the parable, what do I think of Him? Is He the one who is after my well-being or someone harsh and demanding who only wants to use me for His advantage?

These questions, I think, are at the core of this passage. If I answer, I may get the key to understand and live out this page.

I don't buy the third slave response: if he knew that the Master is someone who is powerful enough to turn every opportunity to His own advantage, then his behavior and excuse just doesn't make sense: he believes so deeply that he's doing the right thing that he can't understand it doesn't make sense - he's justifying his sloth on the account of the power of the master: "I didn't do anything because I was afraid of you." Doesn't make sense and yet often it's what I do with God, too. It's very easy to fall into this trap - justify my behavior and blame God. But the Gospel always unveil my stupidity and forces me to be truthful. (I even wonder if this servant actually spent any time thinking about what excuse to give to the Master, or he just said the first thing that came to his mind.) He is paralyzed by his worldview: the Master is powerful, I can fail... why try? Lots of people live their lives using the same worldview.

The other servants seem to have a different attitude. I like the "Immediately" that Matthew puts int he text. There seems to be some kind of energy in what they do. Not only they invest the money but they are totally involved in the work. I can understand why they are so excited about their profit. They live their lives "out there,"taking risks with the gifts they have received. They trust the Master and they know that they are trusted by Him. What difference does this make in my life: I know that I trust God, but am I trustworthy, can He trust me? And, does the fact that He trusts me make any difference in my life? Do I live i fear of failure or do I feel empowered to use my gifts?

These guys don't seem to be concerned about the Master's powerful attitude. What can I conclude? Is the Master really harsh? or was only the way the third slave saw Him? (I noticed that the image of the master has not been discussed in the text: the Master doesn't refute the lazy servant's view of Him. What to make of this?). Obviously they feel different about Him. I know that our image of God shapes our behavior. I need to explore what do I think of God.

I do tend to be closer to the two servants: they seem to have acted moved by a positive worldview. Their mater knows them personally: each of them had a particular gift for administration; the master has been respectful of this and has given to them according to what they could handle. Also, when He comes back He just doesn't take the money and gets rid of the servants: He blesses them with more. Even more surprisingly, the Master praises them publicly (pretty unheard of!). He gives them more and more importantly, allows them to share in the master's "joy." This doesn't seem the behavior of a harsh and demanding Master. He behaves quite differently than I would expect. The servants relate to the Master in an open way and this openness allows them to experience an inner transformation (which has obvious physical consequences - Joy).

There is no tyranny or capitalism, there is no blaming the Master about being after profit. Sorry, third servant, but I still don't see your point of view: you wanted to cover-up your own issues and lack of interest. Didn't work because it never does. In the end, accountability is a very personal issue and we can't blame anybody for your failures. The Master saw through it - if you were really that scared, you could at the least put the money in the banks: that's quite risk-free, and takes little effort on your part. You didn't even do that. Don't buy it. I bet the Master would have been more merciful if you had lost your money in an investment - at the least you tried. But nothing begets nothing.

That's why Jesus closes the parable with those hard words: "for to everyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich; but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away." We always bring to God more and more request to get more and more "blessings" (=stuff). Why would He give us more if we don't take car of what we already have? How can we ask for blessings when we are not willing to get rid of sin? Can blessing and sin co-habitate?

The key to understand this passage is to see how the servants behaved: they were given a task, which was based on trust and personal love, and they were asked to be faithful to it.



No comments: