Monday, November 7, 2011

Called again to Communion

It happened. And I am glad it did.

I am at a workshop for new pastors. I have been trying to prepare myself for this week by putting in order my thoughts and my notes on the identity and role of the pastor. Not knowing what the workshop was really about, I tried to create some kind of background. Last night I was reading some of my notes and I read something that struck me. It's about Communio, the unifying bond that exists among all the baptized. "It is all en-compassing for it embraces every member of the Church."

It sounded so beautiful. I feel a particular calling to create and live Communio and probably that's why I felt it so close to me. I pictured it in my mind, like a mantle that covers every single person bestowing both dignity and equality to all.

I went downstairs for Night Prayer. I went earlier so that I could some time to meditation. I found my seat and I looked up: the icon of the Trinity. I kept looking and looking and suddenly the idea of Communion and the Trinity became one. The Trinity is the source and model of Communion. Everything flows from there and goes back to there.

I wonder: is the reason we experience so much lack of Communion in our world, in your families and in our Church to be found in the lack of understanding of the Trinity? Is it possible that we have forgotten what we are supposed to live - the life of the Trinity in us and in our midst?

A strong desire: I need to deepen myself in the mystery of Baptism, the Sacrament that allows me to be immersed in the Trinity and that allows me to live the life of the Trinity. How can I be successful in my ministry as pastor if I don't help people to live out their own Baptism? This should most certainly be a priority of mine. I know that life has a way of moving priorities around and that the "everyday grind" finds always a way to demand our attention, but our Baptism must shape all we do, at all times.

As JP2 said, the Church must be "home and school of Communion,"the Trinity is the protagonist, and our Baptism the way to realize and live out this Communion.

How can I do that? What can I do to understand and help people understand this great gift?

No comments: