Monday, November 14, 2011

In the Gaze of God

Tuesday of XXXIII

Like yesterday, the theme of "seeing" comes up again and this challenges me to ask myself: "how do I prepare myself for the coming of the Lord?" when I will "see Him face to face.

Yesterday, the blind man heard that Jesus was passing by. He had to seize that opportunity of a lifetime: he made himself heard. Two challenges: physical and social, he was blind and people wanted him to be quite. Nothing stopped him. He was determined to meet Him-who-could-change-his-life.

"What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asks him. What would I have said in his place? But Jesus is not like a genie. This question came after the blind man responded to the coming of the Lord. He asks: "I want to see." What a wonderful prayer!

I want to see, too. I want to see Him, I want to see also what separates me from Him. The readings from Maccabees are terrifying: a foreigner culture slowly creeped in and began to unleash its destructive power: the abomination of desolation, the erection of the statue of Zeus in the temple of God.

If God is disappearing from our culture, our society, our families could it be that it is our fault, who are not keeping guard and compromising our faith?
What to do? "Lord let me see..."

Zaccheus wants to see Jesus, too. He also faces two issues: physical and social, he's too short and there are too many people in between him and Jesus. Zaccheus reacts to the news of Jesus' arrival and takes the initiative. He doesn't know that this would change his life. But what a surprise: he discovers himself as "the one who is being seen." Jesus knows him by name. Jesus has a plan for him, "I must come to your house."

It's a call to renew myself and understand I am the one who is the object of God's search, of God's love. My response to Him is "the second act," He has chosen me first. He comes and changes me: from on an individual who wants to be on the benches to watch the show... to a man of Communion, the protagonist of God-centered civilization of love.

How do I do this? Eleazar teaches me how. Take a stand, don't compromise with what is becoming popular. Remain fixed in God and let His Word renew you constantly by changing and forming your own mind to His likeness.

When society "forces me to eat pork," to comply to what seems popular, I have to ask myself if what is behind it is of God or not. He trusts me with His own Kingdom, with his own possessions.... I have to return the talent received, will it bring fruit?

"Lord, let me see... let me see You. Let me remain in this eternal gaze, within the gaze of the Father and the Son and the Spirit: my true dwelling place. Let me become part of your "vision" so that, as I bring you to the people of the world, and them to you, I can help you to renew the face of the earth until you come again. Lord, let me see you, and this will be enough for me."

1 comment:

Pat said...

Amen!
Thank you,Father.