Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What are the demons saying?

Between Sunday and Monday we have been looking at some demons. They are different stories but to me they had something in common. The demons told Jesus the same thing. Oddly, it's what I hear when people tell me why they don't come to Church anymore. Coincidence? May be not!

"What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth?" How many people think that Jesus doesn't have anything to do with them? This is the lie that the devil is spreading: God doesn't care. I believe that many of us bring this belief even to our Churches: Yes, we know God exists but our lives don't intersect. We go to Church because it's what we do, but... God caring for us? Really? NAH. 

I believe that it's time for us to listen to the demons. If this is what they are telling people, we want to be ready and make sure that people hear the truth: God is interested in them, God cares because He loves us.

God's love and care for each one of us must be the starting point of any conversation we can have with people. It's the first point of the "new evangelization" and of any true Christian spirituality. No wonder Pope Benedict chose this topic as his first encyclical.

How can we be witnesses of God's love for us? Do we really believe that God has something to do with us?






1 comment:

Carmen Rae said...

This hit home! So much time wasted feeling like I am not worthy, when all this time, Satan has been laughing and having a field day with me because I believed him. I am so grateful to know that God loves me (and never stopped)and still welcomes me with open arms. Hush Demons!!! I am through with you!!!