Thursday, January 5, 2012

Am I going to be a murder or a lifebringer today?

January 5th - Readings of the day

He comes and calls us to follow Him. This encounter with Him and His invitation change us completely: both from within and from without. Following Jesus is never only a matter of the "spirit" or the heart but it's a life lived fully. 

I continue my meditation on the first letter of John. After speaking about how much God loves us and how much this love transforms us making us His children, he invited me to think about how my life really reflects this transforming love. John clearly states that those who are children of God do not sin anymore. What?!? Certainly he is saying that once we accept the invitation of God we stop doing certain things which are considered sinful and focus on doing others which are considered virtuous. But even when we commit an individual act of sin we should not loose our hope because we have someone interceding for us with the Father. This is certainly a life lived in a deep and intimate Fellowship with God.

But now things seem to be getting more demanding. The love that I have received from God, this new life that God has "planted in me" with the "seed" of the Holy Spirit has to germinate. The fruits are seen and found in the way I live my life and my relationships with others, starting with those who are members of the Community. Everything is regulated by Reciprocal Love.

This is the key to live a fully developed and mature Christian love. A choice is given: Cain or Christ? Which of the two most represents me? It is interesting to notice that both lives are motivated by a relationship with God. Cain slaughtered Abel because God did not accept his sacrifice but Abel's. This makes me think: does my "spirituality" make me "murder" my neighbor when I don't get my way? or, like Christ, do I bring life? Is this why John says that whomever does not love their neighbor is a murder?

Christ clearly came to bring life and life in abundance. How did He do it? By loving to the end (John 13:1). If I claim to be a Christian, that is another Christ, how can I justify my lack of love?

I have to choose how to live my life: will be a murderer? or a a reflection of God's love that brings others to life? Hmmm..... how does this concept carry over  all my relationships, especially with those who don't agree or persecute the Church, or.... ? my leadership style? Is there ever a good reason for not being loving?

No comments: