Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Christian: Family or Bystanders?

Tuesday of 3rd in Ordinary Time - Readings of the day

I am called to follow Jesus and become a "fisher of men." Jesus called the first disciples and made them what they were, fishermen. Yet, something new was added. They were sent to fish for people. This is always what is at the center of God's heart: people, not things. By becoming "fishers of men" we also see that our dignity is lifted up. We become what God is looking for.

There is a double call: to follow Jesus and to be a fisherman. I cannot help but thinking of the "new evangelization" the Church asks us to do. It is by following Him that we can invite others to join us. To become a Christian is not to enroll in a class or in a program. It's to let Him transform my whole life.


As I follow Him I find myself invited to become part of something bigger, something that I have never could have been part if I were not invited: become member of God's household as a family member. It's a nice and conforting thought but quite challenging. As I see Jesus' own family members taking a central role today, I wonder: do I know I am part of God's family? When I see and hear Jesus, do I stay outside or go in and sit with Him? When I see what Jesus does in the world today, do I hinder His ministry or actually help Him?

It's a fine line. Sometimes I want to be surrounded by strongly committed people, who are uplifting and inspiring and then I see Him calling the poor, unfortunate and the sick. Sometimes I want Him to strengthen me to move ahead in my life and instead He asks me to take care of the outsider. Sometimes I want to get to now Him more intimately but He calls me to go out into the world. I desire the intimacy of a family and a small group of friends,  and He calls everyone to be part of it.

What do I do? where do I go? Do i follow my desires and wants or do I follow Him? do I help or hinder? do I stay outside or do I go in and be with Him? I think that Jesus' family went there with good intentions: I am sure they saw him overworked and tired. They wanted him to take a break. And that is good but probably it wasn't the right time. Do I also withdraw sometimes thinking that "it's good for me to take a break from living the Gospel?"

Something amazing happens when we allow ourselves to follow Jesus: we become family. His family. God's family. How can I really understand this reality? I dare calling God my father but do I understand the consequences? If I call God my Father, then each person who does the same is member of the same family. This is a stronger reality than the natural family because it is God who binds us together. How do I see the other? Even in my own church? Are they my brothers and sisters, or simply people who pass by?


It's tough to talk about family nowadays; I am quite aware that many people have very different ideas and experience of what a family is and how family members live with one another. Too many times I see people living like roommates, using each other for whatever they need and want. It's only natural, then, that talking about family can be misunderstood. How can I understand this reality properly? Obviously, what Jesus has in mind is quite different than what goes on today in many households. He was thinking of people who make reciprocal love their only rule of conduct, people who desire to be together, work together, and share life's burdens and joys. Is it like this today in our churches? If not, what can I do? how can I change things? how can I change myself and start experiencing God's love?

"Whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother." Here's how! It's forgetting all about my desires, wants and needs. Empty myself so that I can live the Word of God and start changing my point of view. This is an invitation to embrace His will. Seems easy! But I can take little steps everyday: I can find His will in His Word, the Gospel especially. The Ten Commandments, the directives the Church gives me to live a christian life. What matters is that I start today to say Yes to His will and enjoy whatever He is going to do with me.

After all, I have chosen to live in His houseld, not as a bystander but as a family member.

No comments: