Sunday, September 26, 2010

in pursuit of what?

Please, read the entry at www.heavenwards.org in the My Journal section. Thank you.

We make so many excuses as we continue to justify our unwillingness to share. I found this little "litany" and I wanted to share it with you. let me know what you think? is it right? should we take some out or add some new ones?

"I WAS HUNGRY and you circled the moon.
I WAS HUNGRY and you told me to wait.
I WAS HUNGRY and you set up a commission.
I WAS HUNGRY and you talked about bootstraps.
I WAS HUNGRY and you told me I shouldn't be.
I WAS HUNGRY and you had napalm bills to pay.
I WAS HUNGRY and you said, "Machines do that kind of work now."
I WAS HUNGRY and you said, "The poor are always with us."
I WAS HUNGRY and you said, "Law and order comes first."
I WAS HUNGRY and you blamed it on the Communists.
I WAS HUNGRY and you said, "So were my ancestors."
I WAS HUNGRY and you said, "We don't hire over 35."
I WAS HUNGRY and you said, "God helps those who help themselves."
I WAS HUNGRY and you said, "Sorry, try again tomorrow."

-- T. T. Crabtree, 1985 Pastor's Manual, (Zondervan, 1985), p. 91.

1 comment:

John Glorioso said...

I understand why you perfer to focus on the positive aspects of Christ's teaching. It is rewarding to see that God loves us and as a father He is concerned with His children's welfare. However, I believe it's good to remind us (from time to time) that there is such a place as hell. And if, as you pointed out, we refuse to accept God's will and reject His teaching we may/will spend eternity in hell. I have always felt that there should be an emphasis on what we must do, and you do point it out, that it is up to us to earn the privildge to enter throught the door to God's home. As in society, it is our responsibility to earn what we receive. Too often in our earthly endeavors, folks forget to take responsibility for their actions and there are those who continue to receive a pass for incorrect behavior. Maybe we get use to giving excuses for our incorrect behavior and it runs over to our spiritual life. Probably, that is why people use the relativism approach to determine if bad behavior is really bad behavior.