Thursday, March 15, 2012

An intellingent and wise nation: possible?

Thursday of the 3rd week of Lent - Daily readings

As I continue my journey towards Easter, I realize that I have to grow as a Christian on solid foundation: I cannot let Christianity be reduced to what I think it's right or wrong. I do not make up Christianity! 

Following yesterday's meditation, I realize more and more how important it is to put the Word of God in its right place. The Gospel is the solid rock on which I can build my house. I heard yesterday that by following the Word of God we can become an intelligent and wise nation, we can grow healthier and happier. Is it true? Well, I look around and I ask myself, "Are we growing as a nation? Are we getting better? Are we culturally more "advanced" as we were before?" I can't come up with a true positive answer because I realize that that we have placed ourselves out of the center of the universe and we have been replaced by something else: profit. 

I noticed that by removing the Word of God we have removed ourselves from the center. We, as humans, are not the reason for doing anything. All that we do, it seems, has an ulterior goal: either defending profit (see how much cheating there is out there) or making profit (at all cost). We, for example, have become accustomed to the idea that it's acceptable for consenting adults to engage in sexual activities. We just don't want to admit to ourselves now that all of the sudden we seem to be incapable of keeping healthy and long lasting relationships. We think it's normal, but we are made for long lasting relationships. Is there a cause and effect? More indiscriminate sexual encounters equals shorter and unhealthier relationships? Prove me wrong, I'd say!

The Word of God helps me to see things differently. Not only makes me aware that sometimes I miss the mark but it also tells me where the mark is. I am reminded that I am created in God's image. If we know anything about God is that He is Love. Therefore, the target is love. I miss the mark when I do not become a person who loves. This is the "original condition" of our creation. IT is when I think only about myself, defending what I have, what I think and what I do at all cost that I miss the mark and become unhealthier. When I am loving, giving, supporting, considering the other more important than myself, I find myself happier; yes, maybe I find myself with less "things" to hold on, but way happier than I was before. 

The Commandments, for example, were given to us so that by obeying them we have have and enjoy life. WOW. If this is God's reason for giving them to us, why wouldn't anyone take a second look at it and ponder if without we can have the same thing. Let's see: "Thou shall not steal." To steal or not to Steal? Which will make me enjoy life the most? Apparently, the first because I think that if I take something, I will be happier. But what happens when the rightful owner finds out I have taken something that belongs to him? He will certainly retaliate and either takes it back or takes something else from me. Then, this will force me to protect my goods more forcefully, which in turn will create anxiety in my heart because whenever I leave the house I am concerned if this is the day when someone will come and take my things. Hmmmm.... it's a slippery slope, eh? 

The Word of God is given to me, to us, with a choice. Today the prophet Jeremiah speaks out with God's voice and invites me to Listen to His Voice. As I do that, God will be my God and I will be His people. By living the Word I can accept to be in a very special and unique relatinship with God that will allow me to live my life as it is supposed to be lived. 

I want to make this choice. Because I value life I want to say Yes and not being identified with those who belong to a nation that does not listen to His voice where "Faithfulness has disappeared; the word itself banished from their speech."It's time to be faithful again, faithful to the Word of God that makes us into a great and wise nation. It's about time! But I... we... need to make this choice now.

 

1 comment: