Saturday, December 10, 2011

He comes for our Joy

The third Sunday of Advent seems to have a special place: it's the day when we light up the "rose" candle on the Advent wreath. The pink / rose candle reminds us to focus on a particular aspect of this week's liturgy: the call to rejoice and be glad. Why? Because the Lord comes for our Joy. Especially the joy of those who are poor. We are invited to rejoice greatly and completely in the Lord.

John the Baptist becomes the guiding figure this week; he shows us how to prepare the way of the Lord. How do we do this?

John was a witness to the messiah; we are called to be witnesses as well. If we are preparing for his coming, then we have to make sure we don't fall (too much) into what the world out there believes: that Christmas is only about music, lights and shopping. How can I be a witness to the Light in the midst of all these competing blinking lights? 

John teaches me two lessons this week: 1. I have to make straight the paths. If my life could be placed on a map it would most certainly be drawn as a series of curves and u-turns. These turns mostly represent the times when I deliebrately have chosen to do it my way thinking that it would be the best way for me. Ironically, these turns make the journey longer. following the straight path is the shortest way to reach the destination. Following the Will of God, tehrefore, is the smartest thing that I can do for myself. I pray that I will keep this lesson in mind. But in order to make the road straight I have to fill up the holes and smooth up the hills.

A hole is a place where there is not enough dirt. I ask myself, what is missing in my life, is there something that I don't have enough of? Not enough silence? not enough prayer? no enough....? What am I going to do to fill up these holes? A hill is a place where there is too much accumulated dirt. I ask myself, is there something in my life that I have too much of? too much television? too much drama? distractions? What am I going to do so that I can eliminate some of these things?

The goal is simple: by filling up the holes and smoothing the hills over, I will bring balance into my life and so straighten the paths, making it easier for Him to come!

2. The other lesson I learn from John comes from the questions he gets: "who are you?" and "what do you say for yourself?" I ask myself, do I think I am the messiah? do I have this complex that leads me to believe that only I can fix all the problems in the world? or that my way is absolutely and uniquely the best way for everyone? I realize that on Christmas day, I will see a manger and this holds the place only for one person: who is it going to be laying there? Jesus or me? Is He the new born King, the savior? or do I think it's going to be me?

I pray that I will have the strength to acknowledge that I need a Messiah and Savior and that I will make room for Him to be born.

This week I want to rejoice as I pray "O come o come Emmanuel..." because I know that His coming will transform my heart. And He will be the source of my joy.

No comments: