Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday: "we are the 'Because' of God

We walk together on this most beautiful of days, following Jesus who carries His cross. We go with Him all the way to Calvary where we see Him, true God and true Man, hanging on the Cross, dying for our salvation.
We walk today with Him and we will see Him crying out “My God, My God why have you forsaken me?”

“Why have you forsaken me?”

In this Cry we find the cry of every people, of every age, of every nation who struggle to find God today. We walk with them, we walk for them, and we walk on their behalf. With Jesus, we cry with them as they wonder: “where is God when tragedy struck? Where is God, when I can’t find a way to sustain my family due to loss of jobs, poverty, illness…? Where is God, when I experience injustice and discrimination?”

“My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” In the abandonment of Jesus, this terrible feeling of isolation and forsakenness, we can find ourselves.
It seems as though the Father remains silent and does not answer to the “Why?”
But we know that something else was happening. As true man, Jesus uttered those words two thousand years ago; as true God, He utters them eternally.
Jesus cries out “Why have you forsaken me?” and one day you were born, “Why have you forsaken me?” and another day you were born. “Why have you forsaken me?” And yet another day I was born.
By God’s grace, in the power of the Spirit, we become part of this wordless dialogue that the Father has with His Son. We, therefore, become the “Because” of God. We are God’s answer to Jesus’ cry on the Cross.

We walk with Jesus because we matter to God; we walk because we know that His great love has reached its most sublime form: He died for us.

We walk with Jesus to Calvary because we find today the answer to humankind’s greatest question: “’Who am I?’ and ‘Why am I here?’ ” We are here because He loves us immensely; we are here because we are God’s gift to His Son (John 17:6)

We walk also with those who cannot, those who don’t believe yet in His Love. We take their sufferings, their questions, their own “Whys?” and make them our own and we put them in the Cry of Jesus today and we pray that they too become aware of what HE does for them.

We walk with Jesus, with grateful hearts, and we say “Yes” to His love as we live our lives as “the ‘because’ of God”

We walk with Jesus together as the family of the redeemed, and we will continue to do so, brother to brother, sister to sister, until we will realize what He dreamt for us  - that we can “Become one as He and the Father are one… so that the world may believe”(John 17:21)that He died for the salvation of all. They He died because HE loved us to the end (John 13:1)

No comments: