Tuesday, January 11, 2011

In the waters of new life

By saying Yes to God's will I can be reborn
The Christmas cycle ends. With the feast of the Baptism of the Lord we are closing the Christmas season.
Reading the story closely, I understand the difficulties that both John the Baptist and the early communities had about Jesus’ baptism. Why would he go to be baptized? Why forgiveness of sin? Wasn’t Jesus the one without sin?
Jesus brings with Him the sin of the nations, of all ages. Jesus is bringing with Him my sins as well. I know that whatever happens to him happens to all of us. With the forgiveness of sin, the Trinity allows me to be born and re-born everyday. What a great gift I have found!!!!!
The baptism of Jesus challenged the early christian communities! My own baptism challenges me. How do I live my own life as a child of God? Do I keep that “dignity” given to me unstained?
As a community, how can we grow in our understanding as members of God’s household?
I know we have to grow; the challenge exists and we have to keep the light burning.

1 comment:

John Glorioso said...

We have to remember that through our Baptism we (community) became part of Christ (the vine). As as the branches of Christ we need to become apart not a part from the community of God. Jesus wants us to take Him within our self. Each member of God's community must shed our egos, our self-interest and realize that what we do is for the common good of our parish. I believe alot of the barriers in regards to our selfish egos is what St. Thomas Aquinas writes about when he says we must aceept the Will of God and not be concerned with free will, what we want (in competition with God). I believe there is too much of what we want from the parish and not what is best for the parish.
We need to surrender to the light and place our souls in the Hands of God.